GlobalPSC News – November 2013
Resource Recycling in Taiwan
Resource Recycling Fund Management Board
In November 2013, GlobalPSC CEO Russ Martin met with officials of the Environmental Protection Administration of Taiwan’s (EPAT) Resource Recycling Fund Management Board in Taipei. The presentation that served as the basis for discussions has been made available for members on the GlobalPSC Knowledge Base.
The presentation details the following for Taiwan:
- Evolution of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) policy
- Regulated recyclable waste (RRW)
- Four in one system
- Waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE)
- Recycling fees
- Green Differential Fee rate
- Collection amounts
The presentation, in both English and Chinese, can be found under the Programs category in the Knowledge Base available to GlobalPSC members.
On 18 November 2013 in Port Melbourne, Australia, the GlobalPSC brought global leaders on product-specific producer responsibility collection and reprocessing initiatives together to help identify and learn from international best practice to assist Australia’s efforts to develop national product stewardship approaches for batteries, paint and other materials. Featured international speakers included:
• Carl Smith, CEO and President, Call2Recycle (North America)
• Alison Keane, Vice President Government Affairs, American Coatings Association, on behalf of PaintCare
• Mark Kurschner, President, Product Care Association (North America)
• Corinne Faure-Rochu, Director Business Development, Recupyl (France)
An interactive panel session included these speakers and other product-specific experts on batteries and paint from the USA, UK and Australia. Full program and details are available here. A special evening function sponsored by the GlobalPSC, Sustainability Victoria and Infoactiv provided even greater access to this international line-up for GlobalPSC members.
Thanks to our speakers, sponsors and supporters, we were able to make attendance free for GlobalPSC members in proportion to their membership level.
Presentations from the workshop have been provided to attendees and are now available on the Knowledge Base under the Programs category in addition to being searchable in the Knowledge Base.
In early November 2013, representatives of the Singapore Economic Development Board, Global Product Stewardship Council and GlobalPSC Sustaining Corporate member DHL Supply Chain met in Singapore to discuss the business case for product stewardship and potential opportunities in Singapore as well as the broader Asia Pacific region.
GlobalPSC CEO Russ Martin began with a presentation on the GlobalPSC perspective on the business case and potential ramifications for Singapore. The presentation is now available for GlobalPSC members via the Knowledge Base, under the Frameworks and Harmonisation category.
Our special thanks to Kevin Bennett of DHL Supply Chain, who arranged the discussions.
On 29 October 2013, GlobalPSC CEO Russ Martin presented as part of a professional development course on Product Registration Requirements in Asia Pacific during the Asia Pacific OH Conference 2013 in Singapore. The conference was led by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA) and recently-formed Product Stewardship Society (PSS).
The presentation details Australia’s National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme (NICNAS), which provides an integrated national approach for identifying and assessing industrial chemical entities (not products). Specific topics on NICNAS and product stewardship include:
- development, context and current structure of NICNAS, including registration and assessment requirements;
- overview of the Australian Inventory of Chemical Substances (AICS);
- prioritisation and assessment of chemicals of concern under the new Inventory Multi-tiered Assessment and Prioritisation (IMAP) process;
- interaction with producer responsibility and notification requirements including the European Commission’s REACH requirements; and
- interaction with other international counterparts.
The presentation is now available in the Knowledge Base, under the Chemicals and Chemical Containers category.
New GlobalPSC Members
- Product Stewardship Society (USA)
- 3R Group (New Zealand)
- ProductWise (Australia)
The Global Product Stewardship Council is presenting at the following event:
- Packaging Waste & Sustainability Forum, 4-5 March 2014 in Brussels, Belgium
At this event, we will be promoting the involvement of GlobalPSC members and our activities.